Most Popular Military News

Contributor

This article is provided courtesy of Stars and Stripes, which got its start as a newspaper for Union troops during the Civil War, and has been published continuously since 1942 in Europe and 1945 in the Pacific. Stripes reporters have been in the field with American soldiers, sailors and airmen in World War II, Korea, the Cold War, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Bosnia and Kosovo, and are now on assignment in the Middle East.

Stars and Stripes has one of the widest distribution ranges of any newspaper in the world. Between the Pacific and European editions, Stars and Stripes services over 50 countries where there are bases, posts, service members, ships, or embassies.

Stars and Stripes Website

More Military Headlines

Navy Identifies Stethem Sailor Missing in South China Sea

The guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) pulls into Sasebo Harbor in Japan for a routine port visit to Commander Fleet Activities Sasebo in November 2015. (US Navy photo/Joshua Hammond)
The guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) pulls into Sasebo Harbor in Japan for a routine port visit to Commander Fleet Activities Sasebo in November 2015. (US Navy photo/Joshua Hammond)

The Navy has identified Lt. Steven D. Hopkins as the USS Stethem sailor who was reported overboard from the guided-missile destroyer in the South China Sea on Aug. 1.

On Friday, the Navy announced it had suspended its search for Hopkins.

Hopkins was reported missing about 9 a.m. as the ship transited 140 miles west of Subic Bay, Philippines, a Navy statement said. An investigation into the disappearance is underway.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with our lost shipmate, their family, and the officers and crew of USS Stethem," Rear Adm. Charles Williams, commander of Task Force 70, said in the statement. "I appreciate greatly the dedication and professionalism shown by all who participated in the search efforts."

Originally from Texas, Hopkins joined the Navy in 2009 and reported to the Stethem in July.

The Stethem, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, was assisted in the search-and-rescue operation by the USNS Amelia Earhart, USNS Vice Admiral K. R. Wheeler, a Navy P-3 Orion aircraft, and ships and helicopters from the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, Navy officials said. Two Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy frigates that had been shadowing the Stethem joined the effort on Wednesday.

Approximately 10,000 square nautical miles of ocean was searched in 79 hours, the statement said. When Hopkins was not found after more than three days, the effort was called off at 4 p.m. Friday Japan time.

"After an extensive search, with help from [Japan and China], we were unable to locate our Sailor," Capt. Jeffrey Bennett, commander of Destroyer Squadron 15, said in the statement. "I offer my deepest condolences to the Sailor's family, friends, and the Stethem Steelworkers."

The Stethem was conducting routine operations in the South China Sea at the time of the incident, Navy officials said. Weeks earlier, the destroyer sailed within 12 nautical miles of Triton Island on the basis of innocent passage, a U.S. official said at the time. Triton is part of the Paracel chain claimed by China, Vietnam and Taiwan.

The move drew a sharp rebuke from the Chinese, who called the operation "provocative" and said such actions "violate China's sovereignty and threaten China's security."

Earlier this year, American and Japanese ships spent more than 50 hours searching for a presumed overboard sailor missing from the guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh off the coast of Okinawa, Japan, only to later discover Petty Officer 3rd Class Peter Mims had been hiding aboard the ship.

Related Topics

Headlines Featured Naval Operations Military Officer

Military News App by Military.com

Download the new Military.com News App for Android on Google Play or for Apple devices on iTunes!

You May Also Like